Storyteller’s Creed

I believe that imagination is stronger than knowledge.

That myth is more potent than history.

That dreams are more powerful than facts.

That hope always triumphs over experience.

That laughter is the only cure for grief.

And I believe that love is stronger than death.

Take a Look Around...

Monday, October 24, 2011

Special Preview that No One Ever Expected

  That's right. A never-before-read preview of Sunset, Oregon right here on the Lords of the Pencil blog! (Man...how do I get all these connections? First previews from Rising Waters and Flash of Lightning, now a preview of Sunset, Oregon! How do I know all these authors?)
  Anyway, I know what you're thinking, and NO, I did not cheat. In the workbook they tell you to write the first few paragraphs of your novel, because that's the hardest part. So I did. 
  Just so you know, this is actually an excerpt from something near the beginning. The very beginning is not on here, but this is essentially the beginning, after the introduction and everything. 
  Here you go: 

            Beep…beep…beep…beep…
            Over and over again.
            Beep…beep…beep…beep…
            Could it just stop? Would it ever stop?
            Beep…beep…beep…beep…
            It matched the beat of his heart.
            Perfectly.
            It was an unconscious thought, a subconscious fight: As soon as he became aware of it, it became all the harder to continue on, to keep the sound going.
            It’s annoying…make it stop…just make it go away so I can sleep…
            Beep…beep…beep…beep…
            Don’t let it slow down…don’t let it stop…If it stops, I stop…everything stops…
            Beep…beep…beep…beep…
            It was faster now, now slower, now less regular.
            And then it stopped.
            Silence. Blackness. It was welcome. He wanted it to stay.
            But something within him revolted…something would not allow this to be the end. Something within him that held out, that fought to the very last moment.
            Of course, this was to be expected.
            You are from Sunset, after all.
            With this, a memory, a measure of identity, the sound returned.
            Beep…beep…beep…beep…
            And somewhere within him, something forced him to open his eyes.

  That's all I got. Ahem, I mean, that's all that the author disclosed to me to post on our little club blog. I know, I know...I want to read the rest too! I guess I'll have to write it -- oops! -- I mean...get it from the author first. 
  See you round town! (Don't trust Phil if you meet him on a dark road.)
-President Fantasy
  "Okay, so, next question...is Loren available?"
  "What?"
  "Who wrote that?"
   

1 comment:

  1. Whoa, great job President Fantasy! I loved it how you- um, put that on the blog! Yea... that was great! I want to keep reading... will you please write- I mean tell the author to write- more soon?
    -Tiger

    ReplyDelete