Storyteller’s Creed

I believe that imagination is stronger than knowledge.

That myth is more potent than history.

That dreams are more powerful than facts.

That hope always triumphs over experience.

That laughter is the only cure for grief.

And I believe that love is stronger than death.

Take a Look Around...

Sunday, June 12, 2011

"The Password is...Destruct"

You're welcome. I was glad to put on that reference to an Odyssey episode that we have all heard and loved. Except for maybe Horse Love. And Buck My Boy the intern/mascot.
Okay, anyway, a bone with thee. Or whatever the old line is.
I don't like the title "Against All Odds".
"No!" you cry. "But it is lovely! It's the perfect title!"
"I disagree," I say diplomatically. "I don't like it."
I don't. And here's why.
Friends, Against All Odds is an okay title, I suppose, for certain books. But I feel that it is not symbolic of the story about Notch and Flicker and Hope and Simile and Shorty and Xaq and whatever other characters are coming along. It doesn't feel right. It's supposed to deal with Notch, but it feels stereotyped and forced. It feels like it's supposed to seem epic but was an epic fail.
I'm changing my decision. I prefer the old working title "A Text to Save the World". I think that it captures more of the tone and occasional humor of the story. In fact, it even includes Notch's phrase "save the world", and it has the text in it, and it also indicates mystery. What is this text? Why must it save the world? I simply like it better.
I have pitched my reasons. I've showed you why. Now it's up to you. Yes, loyal members, we're voting again. There is a poll at the bottom of the blog. Your vote matters. Thank you.
And out of that long, dark hall, here's my promised essay! (There may be another one soon...hmm...)

A Comprehensive Essay about Daring Deeds, Sinister Schemes
By Sophie Klomparens

            One of Adventures in Odyssey’s extremely popular albums is Daring Deeds, Sinister Schemes, the first album to introduce the characters of Dr. Regis Blackgaard and Richard Maxwell. Surprisingly, though, a very infrequently touched upon subject is the fact that in the end, Richard Maxwell is the real hero of the whole album.
            Don’t believe me? Consider the following evidence:
            Point Number One: Define hero. I’m defining hero as the main character. How do you define main character? Well, the correct definition of main character is the person who makes the ultimate decision that either saves the day, or loses the day.
            So, that leads into Point Number Two: A question. What is the problem in DDSS? Duh, that’s easy! It’s Dr. Blackgaard trying to steal Applesauce! Exactly. And how is he defeated?
            Well, Blackgaard’s Castle is burned to the ground.
            Who burns it?
            Richard Maxwell.
            So, we’ve got Point Number Three: The person who ultimately made the decision that led to Dr. Blackgaard’s downfall is Richard Maxwell. And by the definition of main character, he is the main character, and therefore the hero of Daring Deeds, Sinister Schemes

That's it. Hope ya liked it. And please please please, vote for A Text to Save the World. Again, Against All Odds is immature and seems like it's trying to be epic. It doesn't convey mystery to me. It's not clever, and it seems like a million different books are named some take off of that.
-President Fantasy

2 comments:

  1. I do not want to vote for either of them I just relized how good a Title. " All that matters" is -Dreameruch a good title that is what I'm voting for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are right, President Fantasy. Richard Maxwell is the main charater, because he makes the choice that saves the day. I don't know what title I am going to vote for on the poll... I shall have to tell you later.
    -Tiger

    ReplyDelete